TXST Monarch Center for Immigrant Students
Who We Are
The Monarch Center is a virtual hub, streamlining communications and access to immigration resources, programs, and research.
What's happened so far
- November 2019 – presidential DACA Task Force recommendations include implementing a DACA resource center
- February 2020 – coordinator appointed to lead the Center
- March 2020 – inaugural meeting of faculty and staff charged with serving on the advisory council; decided on official name
- May 2020 – official launch of Monarch Center and website
- July 2020 – graduate assistant hired to staff the Monarch Center
- August 2020 – physical space located in Brazos Hall 218 opened to students
- September 2020 – assembled team of immigration research scholars
Educate – Provide access to higher education opportunities for DACA and immigrant students by actively engaging with and spreading awareness about educational laws and student rights.
Support – Increase recruitment, retention, and graduation of DACA and immigrant students by addressing their unique academic, personal, and professional needs in a holistic manner by partnering with TXST academic and student service areas. The university is committed to promoting the safety, well-being, and success of these students while maintaining their confidentiality and identity.
Advocate – Promote a welcoming campus climate through creation of a knowledgeable and sensitive university culture. Engage other higher education partners to create DACA and immigrant student-friendly policy.
The mission of the TXST Monarch Center for Immigrant Students is to provide a network of university leaders offering evidenced-based research, resources and support in the form of guidance, strategic initiatives for the academic success and inclusion of DACA and Immigrant students.